We are happy to announce the first release candidate for the upcoming darktable 1.6.
In case you are wondering about the versioning scheme: we use odd numbers as development versions and even numbers for stable releases. This means the release candidate, tagged as “darktable-1.5.1”, is an unstable development version – the final stable version will bear the tag “darktable-1.6.0”.
Grab the tarball and OS X package from the github release page:
Concerning Pascal’s Unstable PPA: only Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS) is supported, and there will be no support for future non-LTS releases. Of course the stable PPA will still serve all active Ubuntu versions starting at the most recent LTS.
And here are the preliminary release candidate release notes:
- initial support for x-trans sensors
- input colour gamut mapping
- better basecurve tool to create basecurves from raw/jpg pairs
- soft boundaries in sliders (right click and type 8 in exposure compensation for example)
- support huge images (> 32 bit pixel index)
- pwstorage libsecret
- new defringe image operation
- automatic levels
- big exr export speedup (multicore support)
- color conversion speedup (openmp for lcms2 case)
- tiff read/write rewritten, works on 32-bit float now
- embedded icc profile support for png/tiff (read/write)
- module parameter introspection
- clang/address-sanitizer/etc compiler warnings fixed
- flip iop used for raw auto-orientation (simplifies code)
- libraw not used any more for a lot of file formats (faster loading via rawspeed now)
- hdr bracketing fixes
- masks cleanup and bugfixes
- lens iop presets are working
- correct lens detection for compact cameras
- updated usermanual
- lots of performance improvements and code cleanup
New camera support / new noise profiles
There is support for several dozens of new cameras, and loads of new noise profiles for denoising have been added. Check out the full list in the release notes on github.
We are still looking for aspect ratio mode samples for the following camera models:
- Panasonic DMC-G1 #10149
- Panasonic DMC-G3 #10150
- Panasonic DMC-G5 #10151
- Panasonic DMC-G10 #10152
- Panasonic DMC-GF5 #10154
- Panasonic DMC-GF6 #10155
- Panasonic DMC-L1 #10156
- Panasonic DMC-L10 #10157
- Panasonic DMC-LF1 #10158
- Panasonic DMC-LX2 #10159
- Panasonic DMC-LX3 #10160
- Panasonic DMC-LX5 #10161
Please give this some testing and let us know on FreeNode in #darktable or on the darktable-devel mailing list if there are remaining issues with it.
And as always, thanks to our great community and all the contributors for making this possible! enjoy the release!
I'm a newly converted Darktable user (~addict) using version 1.5.1 on a Mac (at least I think that's the version, I can't see way to check the version number)
Thanks for all the work that has gone into the development.
You can see the version you're using in the header that expands/collapses using Ctrl-h shortcut (at least by default).
This triggers the obvious question: When can we expect the final release?
"CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:136 (message):
Could NOT find LibXml2 (missing: LIBXML2_LIBRARIES LIBXML2_INCLUDE_DIR)
(Required is at least version "2.6")"
I checked my jessie system, and libxml2 is installed. I am not good with linux, but can follow instructions very well. Please help where my error is. Thanks.
Please provide a NEF+DNG sample at ISO 100 and a NEF+DNG sample at high (6400?) ISO.
Let me know if these files are still needed, I would be happy to provide as well as open a request/issue/ticket.
one small thing: there is still no support for my Oly epl3. I have sent test shots in the past.... anyway, I would expect that the profile for the epl2 will be just fine. Can a line be added somewhere in the code so that epl3 points towards the epl2 profiles for denoising?
DARKtable is the best!!
Converting any random RAW to DNG, isn't per-se a smart thing to do. RAW formats and their metadata (EXIF MakerNotes) are fragile. Converting them to another format at times is not a truely lossless process, due to bugs in the conversion process.
It's just an added risk, with little benefit in return.
We generally recommend to stick with the vendors RAW formats, unless (like Pentax), you can choose to have the camera natively produce DNG files, in which case those are generally preferred.
Will there be tethering support for PENTAX - DSLRs in the stable version?
Thanks for consideration in both OS and sensor support.
Just bug us again with your files and the profile might still make it into 1.6.
Many thanks for the improvement of darktable. I tryed 1.5.1 on my mac!
I have got some things to ask you:
1. Why the clarity subtle is not in the equilizer presets?
2. And why the other presets from the 1.4.2 version is not included?
3. Is there a big different between the darktable under Linux/Ubuntu or Mac version?
4. It seems that version 1.5.1 is not stable on my mac 10.9.5 with GHz 2.5 i5 Core Processor! The version 1.4.2 works quicker and have no issues!
I am waiting for the 1.6 version. So I can democaising my RAW-picture from the Sony RX100 M3!! And it will be great..... I am shure.
best and good luck
2. probably the same reason, you didn't specify about which ones you are talking;
4. please be more specific and create a bug report for each issue you notice - just waiting for release to come won't make bugs disappear;)
Any chance the year end update will include Canon 7D MarkII?
Good job ;-)
[init] error: can't open new database schema
ERROR : cannot open database
but that's a known feature of working with a git version. So far so good, I'll be building new versions as they become available.
It's translated from the English version, but I have already updated some info to 1.6.0.
I think it's a good companion to the complete Catalan translation that will come with Darktable's release next sunday :-)
Yes, there wrote "DO NOT INSTALL THESE BINARY PACKAGES IN DEBIAN." but it works ...
Thank you alot for darktable, I fell in love
I have posted the files again. I hope the noise profile will make it to the 1.6 release!
I´m going to try to explain some issues and improvements I see interesting for the final version and concretely for Mac:
1. Importing from camera or card doesn't works on release for Mac 1.4.2 and 1.5.1 , trying with Canon Eos 650D and 2 different SD cards Kingston and Sandisk. The devices are visible or mounted in the Finder, but DT can´t detect it.
2. Ungroup lateral and central panels to move some to a 2nd display.
3. Change font size proportionally to the width of panels, when you change this in preferences, so nothing is hidden.
4. On candidate for Mac 1.5.1, some fonts size (tags 4 ex.) and icons (presets and reset) are smaller than on release for Mac 1.4.2.
Even so, i´m going to keep enjoying with DT and more in the future.
About importing from camera/card see last entry in FAQ: http://www.darktable.org/about/faq/