GSoC

Introducing The Levels Module

For my final GSOC 2011 task, I set out to build a levels module for Darktable, which would behave more or less like the levels tool in GIMP and similar image editors. The user sets a white point, black point, and middle grey point for their image on a histogram, and the tool adjusts the image to match the chosen boundaries. In my git branch, I now have the levels … Continue reading

A Tour Of The New Colorpicker

For my third GSOC task, I’ve replaced Darktable’s old bottom-bar colorpicker with a new one one that acts as a module in darktable mode. The new picker adds some features over the old version, which some of you will hopefully find helpful. Specifically, we have four new additions: You can now choose point or area color picking modes. I’ve added a simple storage system for color samples. The big new … Continue reading

Darktable’s New Keyboard Shortcut System

It took longer than I expected thanks to some unforeseen twists and turns, but the new keyboard accelerator system is basically finished. There may still be some need for minor bug fixes and string changes (in particular, the new translation system needs to be tested out), but by and large everything that needs to be in place is, and next week I plan to start working on changes to the … Continue reading

The State of Darktable Keyboard Input

I’m about a week in on my work on Darktable’s keyboard input system, and I’m hoping by the end of this week to be more or less done.  Here’s a quick look at where I am and where I’m going. The Current Status If you check out my git branch (it’s called bieber), you’ll find that so far I’ve removed all of the explicit calls to Darktable’s old accelerator registration … Continue reading

Glade Removal Complete, Moving on to Keyboard Accelerators

As of last week, the removal of libglade from Darktable is functionally complete.  The gladefile has been deleted, along with all references to libglade in the code and the Cmake files.  Some refactoring may still be ideal, and I’ll be rearranging some code in my free time, but the task is basically completed.  Now it’s time to move on to handling keyboard shortcuts. My plan is to make all keyboard … Continue reading

libglade Removal: The First Week

I’m now a week into my first task of removing Darktable’s dependency on libglade, so here’s a quick look at my progress so far. In the first week I started out by diving in and figuring out how to instantiate all the widgets I would need, starting with the lowest levels and working my way up. It took a little while, but with a combination of the Gtk documentation and … Continue reading

GSOC 2011 Starts Today

Today I’ll be starting on my Summer of Code project for Darktable, so I thought I’d start off with a blog post about just what I’ll be doing.  This Summer I’ll be focusing on UI improvements in Darktable, and I have four separate tasks to complete, in this order. Removing the libglade dependence. There are two ways to construct a graphical interface in software: one is to build your interface … Continue reading

GSoC 2011

As some of you might have noticed, darktable got accepted for this year’s Google Summer of Code (warning, site doesn’t work with every browser …). Currently we are seeing a few possible students lurking around in IRC, preparing their proposals in our Wiki and getting familiar with the program, code and community. If everything keeps going so smoothly this will be just f****ing awesome. If not we still have the … Continue reading